top of page


Matagorda County was organized in 1837, and two years later residents established the Matagorda Methodist Church.  Decades later, in 1903, a group of people met in a one-room schoolhouse and organized the First Methodist Church of Palacios.  The congregation met in the schoolhouse until 1905.

Church members built Pioneer Hall, a place of worship for all of Palacios.  They soon added a parsonage and, in 1912, built a larger sanctuary.  Although Hurricane Carla damaged much of the church property in 1961, the congregation has rebuilt and added new buildings and services and activities.

More than a century after it began, the First United Methodist Church of Palacios continues to play an important role in the lives of its members and its community.

50th Anniversary Celebrated  in 2013 


On Sunday, September 15, 2013, we celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the rebuilding of our Sanctuary.  The original Sanctuary was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961.  Two years later, a new Sanctuary was consecrated, showing the strength of the Palacios congregation to rebuild after this devastating storm.

Rev. King read a portion of the letter sent by Rev. Clint Harris recalling the faith and resilience of the Palacios UMC congregation following the destrucstion of Hurricane Carla in 1961.

The Chancel Choir, led by Perry Dean, sang a special selection for this special service.  Halcy Dean provided the Children's sermon.  Kyle and Zach Seaman opened what was expected to be a time capsule set in 1963.  Mrs. Johnson, Brhlik and Holloway enjoyed a painting of the new sanctuary.

Our guest preacher, Rev. Virgilio Vazquez-Garza, Assistant to the Bishop of the Rio Texas Conference, delivered a great message on the Lost Sheep.

And of course, where two or more Methodists are together, there is always plenty of food!

bottom of page